Shailender Singh popularly known as Sheally is Director – Food and Beverage Operations for Sarova Hotels. A Chef by profession, Sheally joined Sarova over 7 years ago as Corporate Chef and subsequently his role increased to manage all F&B operations. Prior to moving here, he was with Intercontinental hotels in South East Asia and before that, in his home country, India, with Sheraton. A highly accomplished chef, he has served numerous celebrities and heads of state including state visits of Bill Clinton, Tony Blair, Colin Powell, Hillary Clinton, Chancellor Schroeder, Premier Zhu Rong Gi and Hillary Clinton, Cherie Blair, Bill Gates, Sir Richard Branson, Sir Elton John, Brian Adams, Roger Waters amongst others. He also led the team that served President Kibaki at most presidential functions in Kenya and on overseas visits.
With over 22 years experience in the culinary arts, Sheally has launched several new restaurants and cuisine concepts and has featured extensively in leading dailies and lifestyle magazines, written Chef’s columns and hosted culinary shows on television. He has introduced several innovative concepts in the Kenyan market such as large scale fine dining for events, contemporary dining at game lodges and specialises in making the mundane an extraordinary culinary experience.
He has recently been touring the world, bringing international wine and food concepts to Kenya. He has been instrumental in setting up barista teams in Sarova to popularise Kenyan coffee and believes strongly in locally sourced produce and fresh ingredients so all Sarova properties have their own organic gardens. He has also pioneered the concept Best of Kenya that highlights Kenyan cuisine from all parts of the country.
Some recent recognition:
- The Chef’s Delight – Lifetime Achievement Award, Nairobi, Kenya
- Recognised as a wine connoisseur in the region.Invited to attend the Nederburg Annual Wine Auction in Cape Town. Extensively toured the wine lands in South Africa to appreciate the art of wine making and tasting.
- Nominated as a judge for the East African Barista championship, Kenya after pioneering the coffee appreciation & Barista training at Sarova Hotels.
- Invited to the Food Show & Coffee Exhibition (for promoting coffee drinking culture in Kenya) at Milan, Italy.
- Represented Kenya at Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia on showcasing the eclectic Kenyan cuisine.
- Culinary Judge at the East and West Africa Culinary Challenge held in Nairobi, Kenya
- Invited to Food & Trade show at Bangkok, Thailand for showcasing best Thai cuisine and culture in East Africa thru Thai chi, the award winning restaurant in Sarova Stanley. Guest of the Thai export department in Bangkok, Thailand
- Speaker at the SUSTA Conference and International Food Exposition, Orlando, USA.
- Worked with top American Chefs in New Orleans while cooking Cajun and Creole cuisines, Louisiana, USA.
- Invited and hosted as a trade partner to Thai Expo - Thailand, Canton- China, Fair, Fiera Milano - Italy, Indaba, S A wine auction, Wine and food cape tour - SA, AHARA – Food Exhibition India, Gulf Food – Dubai, SIAL Middle East – Abu Dhabi, Malaysia Export Promo, Pakistan Trade Expo, Orlando Restaurant and Hotel Show – USA, etc.
- Masters certification from Cornel University, USA